.Amsterdam.

So, I travelled to Europe last September, and fell in love. No, not with a boy....with a culture. With the simplicity of life, the love for friends and family, and the history of it all. I only went to England and France, but in these two places, I realized how much I love and have a passion for Europe. When I got back, I started searching on the web for opportunities to serve God in Europe through a ministry. The other thing in Europe that struck a chord with me were their post-Christian lifestyles. They are very simplistic in thinking, but also very self-seeking in the way they live. A lot of Europe is Roman Catholic, and I don't know if that means they claim that faith, or if they go to Church, or what, but I know they need Christ, like the rest of the world.

Okay Sarah, get to the point. In searching for ministry opportunities, I found a Christian run youth hostel called The Shelter Youth Hostel Ministry. http://www.theshelter.nl/ministry/ They have two youth hostels to volunteer at, in Amsterdam, which is in the Netherlands. I would work in a cafe, lead Bible studies, and share the Gospel with travellers. I would live in a Christian International House with all the volunteers from the two hostels. My housing and food is taken care of through The Shelter. This is such an amazing opportunity to me. I just recently checked the website again, and they are in desperate need of people to come and work and live over there this spring and summer.

What is even cooler, is right now I'm in school, but I am just getting electives/pre-reqs out of the way so that I can get into the next year's professional photography program which doesn't start until this fall. So, I am available and definetly willing(as always) to take time off of school, and to go and serve God. I feel like I have a passion for Europe, and that this is a really rad opportunity to go and serve in a relevant way.

"How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"
-Romans 10:14-15

~Pray that God would continue to open the door if this is where He wants me.
~Pray that finances would come in. If I get accepted, I have a month until I leave, and plane tix are about $1,000, International medical insurance is between $200-500, and other personal and travel expenses are over $500--you can do the math, that's a lot of money in a very short period of time.
~Pray for those who run The Shelter, that they'd be encouraged through the Lord daily.
~Pray for others to find out about The Shelter, they need people to help desperately.

Comments

Seth McAllister said…
Sounds really cool, go for it sis. What is Rachel going to do if all the other kids are gone? Maybe she can come stay with me in Japan.

Love you
Seth

Popular Posts